Six industry veterans with backgrounds at Riot Games, Blizzard Entertainment, Valve and Bungie have established Theorycraft Games studio and announced an investment to develop their first co-op game.
Former League of Legends Executive Vice President Joe Tung became CEO of Theorycraft Games. Along with him, the company also includes:
- CTO Michael Evans – held a similar position on the Valorant and Overwatch development teams;
- creative director Mike Tipul – held a similar position at Bungie;
- Artistic Director Moby Francke – held a similar position on the Valorant, League of Legends, Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2 development teams;
- COO Areeb Pirani – Former head of finance for the League of Legends franchise;
- Senior Artist Joshua Morrison – held a similar position at Bungie.
As for investments, they are estimated at $ 37.5 million. The largest share in the total belongs to the Chinese company NetEase, and smaller investments were noted by NEA, BITKRAFT Ventures, Griffin Gaming Partners and SISU Game Ventures.
The Theorycraft Games management will spend the money they have earned on “Recruiting versatile and motivated talent” and developing its debut project, a multiplayer online game that will be released on multiple platforms.
“We want to create deep, tens of thousands of hours of games that are best enjoyed with friends.”Tung said in an interview with VentureBeat to coincide with the announcement.
Details about the project are still few: the developers hope to implement cross-platform multiplayer and are going to involve the community of players in the production.
If you notice an error, select it with the mouse and press CTRL + ENTER.